Is it healthy to shave pubic hair male? Things You Must Know
The male pubic hair is meant to serve as protection against the transmission of bacteria and other pathogens. In fact, it has several functions like reducing friction and signaling reproductive ability.
However, according to today’s standards, a smooth shaved pubic area makes for a more hygienic look and most partners would want you to stay hairless down under rather than sporting a bush.
For men looking to bring a razor to their pubes, there is the question of whether or not it is healthy to completely shave below the waist. Well, this article offers an answer.
Is it healthy to shave pubic hair male?
Yes. It is totally healthy to shave your pubic hair and you won’t have to worry about any health issues later on. Literally, there are no health problems associated with shaving pubic hair and it could boost your hygiene.
Risk Associated With Shaving Pubic Hair
While it is entirely healthy to shave your pubic hair, it does come with several risks
Pubic grooming injuries can happen with the most common type of hair removal methods especially shaving. This is most likely due to poor shaving skills and using low-quality tools.
IF you’re going for shaving, you might experience nicks and cuts if you use a dull razor. When waxing, there are chances you could burn your skin if the wax is too hot.
Pubic hair removal can also irritate the skin, leading to infections such as cellulitis and folliculitis. This is most common in people with sensitive skin. In addition, removing the hair makes you more susceptible to STIs.
Benefits of Pubic Hair Removal
Pubic hair can trap heat and sweat around the crotch which would produce a strong odor. Trimming the area or going for a full shave prevents this from happening and keeps the area clean.
Also, a well-groomed crotch looks healthier and appears to move to invite. This is a big plus if you have a partner.
The skin on the genital area is very sensitive and removing pubic hair will increase genital sensation during intercourse.
How to Safely Remove Pubic Hair
The major risks of removing your pubic hair are injuries and infections that would arise from the injuries. Luckily, there is a way to safely remove pubic hair without having to worry about these risks
- Wash Beforehand; You should have your skin cleansed by soaking in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Use the Right Razor: You will need a razor with sharp blades if you want to shave safely. It is best to get a new razor if you’re using the disposable type, however, if you’re making use of an electric razor, you can use it over and over again. Just ensure that the blades are sharp before every use.
- Use a Handheld Mirror: Shaving your pubic hair might require you to bend and stay in some compromising positions. You could save yourself stress by using a handheld mirror and taking things slowly.
- Use a Shaving Gel: Before shaving, apply a thin layer of shaving gel to keep the skin moist and lathered. This helps to reduce friction during shaving and reduce the chances of irritation later on.
- Shave in the Direction of Hair Growth: To prevent ingrown hairs, irritation, razor burns, itching, and other side effects, you should only have your hair in the direction of the grain.
- Moisturize After: Immediately, you’re done shaving and you’ve cleaned up, apply a natural lotion or oil to moisturize the skin and prevent it from drying out.
- Wear Loose Clothing: Avoid tight clothing for a few days after shaving as they could come in contact with the skin and lead to irritation.